Are your brackets busted? This was the first year since I was a wee little one that I neglected to fill out an NCAA tournament bracket in advance. March Madness is only marginally interesting when there are no dramatic storylines or Cinderella teams. Two one-seeds and two two-seeds in the Final Four is about as captivating as seeing a white quarterback in the NFL, or a Kenyan winning the New York Marathon.
With all this (one paragraph of) sports talk, I’ve probably lost my entire Sunday evening audience of sexually ambiguous, mildly anorexic, ironic-shirt-wearing, antisocial music snobs.
RULES for uninitiated noobs: With 100MB of webspace, I give birth to a weekly Mix Tape to be deposited on your iPods or Zunes or Kingklangs or whatever the industry is currently pushing on you. Sometimes there will be themes that link all the songs together, other times I’ll just throw songs at a wall (not literally) and see what sticks. This week I’m paying homage to my favorite recordings laid to tape by otherwise useless celebrities (except for Jodie Foster, who was magnificent in Taxi Driver, Silence Of The Lambs, Panic Room, and Panic Room At 30,000 Feet). Also, there is no Leonard Nimoy here because I’ve already posted one before, and I’m saving those other gems for a special-er day. These songs will be removed if desired by the band or those who represent them. Let me know and I will gladly comply. The goal of this endeavor, as always, is to pique your interest in these artists so you’ll support the artists and buy their albums.
SUNDAY MIX-TAPE NUMBER 59 – “Immense Acting Talent”
01. Bark Psychosis – I Know – (buy this album)
02. Spiritualized – The Slide Song – (buy this album)
03. Crispin Hellion Glover – The New Clean Song – (buy this album)
04. Antibalas – Beaten Metal – (buy this album)
05. Tartit – Ansari – (buy this album)
06. Jodie Foster – La Vie C’est Chouette – (From the Film Moi, Fleur Bleue)
07. Ã‰ric Cordier – Mes ChaÃ®nes Seront BrisÃ©es – (Erewhon, 2006)
08. M83 – Night – (buy this album)
09. H. Jon Benjamin – XTC
10. DMBQ – Smoker – (buy this album)
11. Seam – Rafael – (buy this album)
12. Arnold Schwarzenegger – Burning For You [Blue Oyster Cult] – (buy this album)
13. MoRkObOt – Skrotokolm – (Supernaturalcat, 2007)
14. Big Business – Start Your Digging – (buy this album)
15. L. Ron Hubbard – March Of The Psychlo
16. Axolotl – Natura Naturans – (buy this album)
17. A Taste Of Ra – Miracle Wait – (buy this album)
18. Bruce Willis – Under The Boardwalk [The Drifters] – (buy this album)
19. Sonic Youth – Herinneringen – (buy this album)
20. Grails – Origin-ing – (buy this album)